Sunday, November 30, 2008

Good and the Bad


Side Boards
Originally uploaded by Big Swede Guy



So.... what's first?

Might as well get the bad out of the way.

When I did my first big fill, I discovered a smallish hole in the liner along one side... After it had frozen. The water level didn't get nearly as high as I would have liked because of it. So I found the leak, chipped out an area of ice and patched it up using soley "200 mph duct tape". Great stuff that.

So I decided I needed another "big" fill... So I did on a relatively cold night. Added about 3" of water overall. Apparently this is a bad idea. It froze alright... at least the top did anyways. In various spots around the rink though air was trapped between the bottom layer of ice and the new top layer and created soft pockets where the ice broke easily.... We found that out while the kids were skating on it today. Nothing too serious though, but not something I'll repeat.

Today I added 2' side boards on one 1/2 of the rink, at a cost of approx. $75. The boards actually turned out quite nice. I'll just have to paint them white and put that pressure treatment stain on them in the spring. I hope to do the otherside before Christmas... but money will of course be tight for awhile because of the season, so may have to wait.

That being said, Hannah and Parker skated and had fun out there for almost 4 hours today.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Kevin,

Looks good! I flirted with the idea of putting up half-boards on my length but then the lazy me thought it would require more lifting of the shovel (I am pathetic)so I have held off thus far. Glad you recovered from the hole and the layering of ice and are up and running. Still 3 or 4 weeks away from our season beginning here in MA.

The Big Guy said...

I've got a working snowblower, so if it gets intense, just fire that baby up and off we go. The boards also help to keep blowing snow OUT :D