Monday, November 10, 2008

The First Flood


The First Flood
Originally uploaded by Big Swede Guy

So I needed something to do to keep my mind occupied for a few hours the other day. It was cold and windy... Albeit more windy than cold... And I decided to fill the rink.

Earlier in the day, I decided to drop by Home Depot and see if the tarps were in... They were, for $109 CDN this year... I picked one up and threw it in the back of the truck, figuring I'd flood next week some time.

One thing to keep in mind - don't unravel a 40x60' tarp in -10C weather in hurricane force winds. Alright, they weren't that bad, but bad enough: my neighbour saw me struggling and dropped by to lend a hand. Mark: I'll help you keep that back alley clear for ya this year!

With Mark's help, an hour later I was filling the rink. This involved scrambling to find various tools - stapler, hose (which was still attached to the house and frozen solid), heat gun, staples for the stapler (thanks again Mark!) and things to keep the tarp from blowing away. You know, rocks, chairs, random pieces of wood.

So I basically just stapled the tarp around the rink and filled it. As the weight of the water pushed the tarp down, it ripped out the staples and I just had to restaple it in the new position... Worked actually quite well.

8 hours with the hose on and I turned it off.

Today there was a good inch, inch and a half of ice. Tonight it's going down to about -12C, which is great news.

Only one semi-problem. Near freezing temps this weekend and a pretty good chance of rain.

On the plus side, its a free flooding.


I'm dedicated my rink this year to Jack Falla and my mother, who I've been estranged from for some years. Even though we didn't get along she got me involved in ourdoor hockey when I was quite young, and it is probably the greatest gift she gave me.

She died this week at the age of 58.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a very nice thing to do for Jack and your mother.

The rink looks great so far.

S.