Friday, November 17, 2006

... and then there was light!

So yesterday I dropped in to the Home Depot, after getting my BOGO card (Buy one, get One - that just happens to have the 10% discount stickers in it) and picked up my liner... It measures 30x60, for $86. A little pricey, but I hope to get at least 2 years out of it. I'll have to trim it down of course, but that beats buying a liner that is too small - or needs to be glued together to make a big enough surface. I then swung over to Canadian Tire and picked up a 500w halogen outdoor flood light, and the outdoor electrical box/cover to hook it up to.


Putting the light up turned out to be a bit of a frustrating experience. The 10' 4x4 pole that I was going to use to mount the light on - was set in such a position that if I mounted the light to it, the light wouldn't have shone ON the rink. (There's no horizontal movent to the light, just vertical) So to get around this, I screwed a 2' piece of 2x4 onto the top of the pole. This gave me the ability to mount the light under it, and adjust to to shine where it was needed. The greatest part... When it was up there... I plugged it in.... AND THERE WAS LIGHT! :D

I won't be able to see how well it lights up the backyard until tomorrow - as I'm working midnights... but I've already decided to add a second 500w light at the other end - either off of the corner of the house or on the corner of the deck.

Probably next Wednesday I'll get started on the frame. Can't wait. :)

No comments: